Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worry Wart!!
Aug 17, 2003

Hey! Well I've got a question, or should I say several questions. I had sex with my on again of again boyfriend on Dec 21st & Dec 25th of 2001. I'm unsure of his status. Now, at the time before all this happened I was sick with upper respiratory problems, sore throat, and suffering from bulimia. I was also exercising all of the time in the cold, rain, it didn't matter so my body was run down. Anyhow, to make a long story short I broke out in a rash on the trunk of my body New Year's Eve from what I can remember, later the rash moved to my legs. It didn't itch and showed up more when I exercised and when I got out of the shower. I had it for almost a month. I never thought anything about it because my mom said that a rash can occur with mono and since my body was run down at that point we thought that's what it was. Anyhow I didn't think anything else about it unitl I was on the internet one night and I looked up the symptoms of HIV, well needless to say I read something about a rash an automatically freaked out. So I went and got tested on Jun.24th 2002 and my test results came back negative. I've read all about the window periods and I just wondered since I got tested right at 6 months is that conclusive? Is there a certain amount of days? If you show symptoms early on would that make you seroconvert quicker? I always worried because I had never broke out in a rash before, and I have yeast infections often but I've had them since I became sexually active. Please answer these questions for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Jackson

If you were negative for HIV-1 antibody 6 months after your last exposure, you are not infected.

BJ

Previous
CD4/CD8 follow up
Next
hiv & breastfeeding

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.