Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Worry Wart!!

Hey! Well I've got a question, or should I say several questions. I had sex with my on again of again boyfriend on Dec 21st & Dec 25th of 2001. I'm unsure of his status. Now, at the time before all this happened I was sick with upper respiratory problems, sore throat, and suffering from bulimia. I was also exercising all of the time in the cold, rain, it didn't matter so my body was run down. Anyhow, to make a long story short I broke out in a rash on the trunk of my body New Year's Eve from what I can remember, later the rash moved to my legs. It didn't itch and showed up more when I exercised and when I got out of the shower. I had it for almost a month. I never thought anything about it because my mom said that a rash can occur with mono and since my body was run down at that point we thought that's what it was. Anyhow I didn't think anything else about it unitl I was on the internet one night and I looked up the symptoms of HIV, well needless to say I read something about a rash an automatically freaked out. So I went and got tested on Jun.24th 2002 and my test results came back negative. I've read all about the window periods and I just wondered since I got tested right at 6 months is that conclusive? Is there a certain amount of days? If you show symptoms early on would that make you seroconvert quicker? I always worried because I had never broke out in a rash before, and I have yeast infections often but I've had them since I became sexually active. Please answer these questions for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Jackson

If you were negative for HIV-1 antibody 6 months after your last exposure, you are not infected.

BJ

CD4/CD8 follow up
hiv & breastfeeding