The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Paper Cut & HIV
Aug 9, 2003

I'm hoping you can answer a fearful question for me. A week ago, I was at a strip club where all the women get completely naked. At one point in time a completely naked stripper sat on my thighs. My hand was on my thighs when she started rubbing her vagina on my hand. I know that my fingers touched her vagina because I felt it. About 15 minutes after she got off of me, I went to go wash my hands. On the way home, I noticed that one of my fingers was bleeding. It was a paper cut on a finger where the stripper was rubbing her vagina on. The stripper looked healthy, but I know you can't tell if a person has HIV just from their physical appearance. Now I'm a little scared. Could I have been infected when she rubbed her vagina on my paper cut? Please advise me on what the chances are that I contracted HIV from this stripper if infact she was HIV positive. Since this happened a week ago, is it too late to take PEP. If I do take PEP, will it still be effective in irradicating the virus? I've never done this before so I'm very confused and stressed out. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Jackson

It is probably too late to take PEP, but the risk of HIV infection under these circumstances given her unknown HIV status is probably very very low. If you are really worried about it, I suggest you get an HIV antibody test in 6-8 weeks from the time of the exposure.



Companion HIV
Hand job with cut

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint