For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Transmitting AIDS to my great-niece

I have been diagnosed since 1985 and my niece just had a baby. The day before I left to visit her and her newborn, she called to tell me she didn't want to expose her new baby to me because I have AIDS and she didn't know what other diseases I might carry and not know about. This devastated me, and I want to educate my niece, but I haven't been able to find any resources or info to send her. Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Jackson

As long as others in the household are not exposed to your body fluids (especially blood), there is virtually no risk of HIV transmission. If you have no other symptomatic infections the risk or spreading other diseases is also very small.

Could iron tablets alter my negative result. Pls pls anwer.
HIV and Breast Secretions