Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Female who had 1X unprotected...Please answer!!
Aug 2, 2003

Hello and sorry for the LONG thread:

I'm totally freaking out now. Here is my situation. I am a female who had 1x un-protected vaginal encounter back in February of this year that lasted for like 10 seconds and he did NOT ejaculate inside of me. He also performed oral sex on me. I tested negative via Elisa test at 3 weeks (19 days) and have not re-tested since then since my Dr. really didn't recommend it beause of the "low risk" exposure. So far the symptoms I have experienced were/are:

PHARYNGITIS - approximately 6 weeks after. SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES IN NECK - Still there (my Dr. says they are not swollen) DRY MOUTH - approximately 1-6 weeks after GENITAL SORES - approximately 1-3 weeks after (Dr. tested me for herpes by swabbing me and it came back negative) DIAHRREA - approximately for 1 week after RASH THAT WOULD COME AND GO - approximately 2-3 weeks after

Recurring Mouth ulcers - ongoing

NOW I'M EXPERIENCING:

MORE GENITAL SORES - same area as they were before that keep on recurring on monthly basis. Isn't herpes a sign that you have HIV? Especially recurring herpes?

UNEXPLAINABLE RED/PURPLE SPOTS - appear on the upper part of my legs only. They appear out of no where and fade and disappear in a day or two...My doctor did a total CBC/Platelet count and everything was fine so we have no idea what these are...

I'm totally freaking out now 'cause I've read on some sites that easy or excessive/un-explained bruising is a symptom of HIV and herpes flare ups are a symptom. I've never been diagnosed with herpes before (except for oral herpes) but not genital. If this guy gave me herpes during our one episode could he have given me HIV as well?

I'm so scared right now because these are all symptoms I've never experienced...

I've read that a negative Elisa at 25 days after exposure is pretty reliable. I'm going through MAJOR anxiety right now....

Someone please talk to me about my symptoms.....

Dr. Jackson, PLEASE answer. I just need some peace of mind and guidance. Your advice is the only advice that I feel comfortable accepting....

Thanks and God Bless...

Response from Dr. Jackson

The simple thing to do is to get another HIV antibody test. If it is negative these symptoms you are experiencing are not then related to HIV infection.

BJ

Previous
My girlfriend
Next
cd4 count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.