Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Window Period

I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a man that I do not know the status of. I was tested for HIV by OraSure method at 3 months from the 1st time we had sex and it would of been about 2 months from the last time. It came back negative. I am a perfectly healthy female with no immune problems. Recently, (5 months after last exposure)I have been having fatigue, shortness of breath, loss of appetite(which may be linked to depression)and a white tongue, but no sores in my mouth. I know I need to wait 6 months to get a truly accurate result, but do you think my test so far is a good indication of what the outcome would be. Just to give myself some piece of mind.

Response from Dr. Jackson

Most HIV infected persons become HIV antibody positive 3-6 weeks after exposure so the fact that you are HIV antibody negative 2 months later is a good indication.

BJ

Can I Trust my Husband?
Western blot testing?