For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Should I be retested?

I just recently found out that my boyfriend of 10 years lied to me and in July of 2003 I found out he had not only one girl pregnant but 2 others as well!! I immediately went to the doctor and got a script to take the HIV test. They said that there is a window of roughly 3 months that can give you a false negative, so I waited until 6 months (after our last sexual encounter - which was July 03)it came back negative, I have had HIV tests in the past because of the same ragady boyfriend - which I have left completely now - but anyway they were all negative as well. Should I be retested?

Response from Dr. Jackson

If you were tested 6 months after your last sexual encounter and the test was negative, then you are not infected with HIV.

waiting period