Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV AND HEPATITIS C

i have a sister and when she was 19 she left home with this guy and he took her way away from where we lived and got her hooked on drugs and then put her into prostitution she worked out there for over 15years. She is out of that lifesyle now and is 40 years old. I asked her if she had been tested for aids and she said she was tested about 4 years ago and it was negative. She has hepatitis C now and is getting ready to start interferon treatment. My question is has she been off of the streets long enough that she doesn't have to worry about getting aids now from those days back then. She just doesn't take her health very seriously and it worries me. Please email me.

Response from Dr. Jackson

If your sister has tested negative for HIV antibody several months or more after she engaged in high risk behaviors for HIV infection, then she is not HIV infected.

BJ

HIV "CURE"
Transmission of HIV