Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Mother who died from AIDS

My mother died from AIDS in 1986, she was in her early 30's and I was six years old then. What I want to know is that doesn't that automatically mean that I have the HIV and it is not showing up on my test results yet. I have had two tests already. But it just seem strange because they said you can get it from unprotected sex, and drug needles etc, but could I just have it if it was passed on from my mother. Thank you for listening.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

If you have had two tests for HIV infection and they are negative, then it is unlikely that you acquired infection from your mother. KL

HIV from sharing a cup?
When Can I Stop the Meds?