Women and HIVWomen and HIV

wanting to give life, but not wanting to cause more pain

I am a HIV+ female without children. I'm currently on EPIVIR, VIREAD & KALETRA. I would like to know what would be my chances of conceiving a heakthy child from a HIV- male. By safe home conception, i.e. turkey baster

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

As treatments have improved the lives of many HIV positive women, they are now considering having babies. So, you are not alone in asking this question and you may wish to review some of the prior answers to similar questions on this Forum to see other pertinent disccussions.

The most important factors in having a healthy baby would be your overall health and viral load on treatment. Generally, you are less likely to transmit the virus to your baby if you are in good overall health and have low viral load. Women on therapy with blood viral load < 1000 copies per ml of plasma have < 1% risk of transmitting the virus to the baby.

Continuing treatment is important to maintaining your health and keeping your viral load low. Of the medications that you're on, I would be somewhat concerned about the Viread, since we have limited information on use during pregnancy and we're unsure of the potential effects on the growing fetus. Prior to becoming pregnant, you should discuss your teatment options with your care giver. For more information on the use of antiretrovirals during pregnancy, please see the Treatment Guidelines sectioon of this web site.

My husband CMV positive, I am negative, what about the Baby?
the affects of the sun