Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission risks with an HIV+ female, HIV- male
Jun 21, 2003

I keep reading mixed messages about the risk of transmission from a poitive female to a negative male. Some places say it's well-documented, while others say they're not sure because other risks could be possible. I have yet to see proof of the "well-documented" cases. I have have had 3 previous relationships (I'm the + female) with men that are HIV- and we didn't use protection (b/c they didn't want to) and they are still HIV-. I also have known of other HIV+ females that have had unprotected relationships with men that are still HIV-. These were not brief relationships, either. Most were 2+ years. Can you help me to figure this out? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

HIV positive women can definitely transmit HIV to their sexual partners. The risk of transmission may be lower from individuals on therapy or with low viral loads. For further information, please see the transmission information section on this web site. Because there is the risk of transmission, I would urge you to use safe sex practices to safeguard your partners. This web site has lots of information on safe sex practices and a Safe Sex Forum.

Previous
Diagnoised during pregnancy, high V/L
Next
My husband CMV positive, I am negative, what about the Baby?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.