Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Transmission risks with an HIV+ female, HIV- male

I keep reading mixed messages about the risk of transmission from a poitive female to a negative male. Some places say it's well-documented, while others say they're not sure because other risks could be possible. I have yet to see proof of the "well-documented" cases. I have have had 3 previous relationships (I'm the + female) with men that are HIV- and we didn't use protection (b/c they didn't want to) and they are still HIV-. I also have known of other HIV+ females that have had unprotected relationships with men that are still HIV-. These were not brief relationships, either. Most were 2+ years. Can you help me to figure this out? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

HIV positive women can definitely transmit HIV to their sexual partners. The risk of transmission may be lower from individuals on therapy or with low viral loads. For further information, please see the transmission information section on this web site. Because there is the risk of transmission, I would urge you to use safe sex practices to safeguard your partners. This web site has lots of information on safe sex practices and a Safe Sex Forum.

Diagnoised during pregnancy, high V/L
My husband CMV positive, I am negative, what about the Baby?