Women and HIVWomen and HIV

test any good in twin pregnancy?

Just before I got pregnant with twins(15 weeks now)And some 6 months ago I had some encounters I now am worried about. I had an just elisa, but I am worried about its outcome, for the following reasons: 1. I use Calendula Officinalis products during these first three months of pregnancy (haemmeroids). I've read somewhere that this plant extract stops HIV replication, and therefore antibody production. Do you know if this could have made the test results unreliable? 2. I also read in a pregnancy-book, tha a mother of twins produces lots of extra blood plasma in her pregnancy. Could this extra plasma dilute the blood in such a way that the Elisa cannot find the antibodies?

Would it be okay to take another test at 6 months pregnancy, or would the plasma volume of this twin pregnancy make an Elisa worthless by that time?

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

M.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

ELISA's and Western blots work as well to detect HIV antibodies in pregnant women (even with twins) as they do in non-pregnant women. The medications that you used should not interfere with the use of antibodies.

If you were tested at least a couple months into your pregnancy and you have not had any ongoing potential exposures, re-testing is probably not necessary. Otherwise, you could consider re-testing at 6 months.

Diagnosing HIV in infants
CD4 + CD8 + x = CD3 : doesn't add up