Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Worried about being tested positive

Dear Doc, My current boyfriend and I had been conversing about previous relationships the past few days. He only had unprotected sex with two partners. Both females were virgins who hadn't had any IV drug use or received donor blood. I, on the other hand have had unprotected sex with 3 partners. 2 of the 3 partners, I had sex with 4 years ago. And the last, I had sex with a year and a half ago. I never had any of the symptoms of acute HIV, but I realize some people do not suffer from any symptoms. Our recent conversations have gotten me really worried about my irresponsiblity years before. I am going to Planned Parenthood for my first gynecological (spelling?) exam in 2 weeks. I know they will ask me if I want a test done for HIV. I am thinking about getting tested. I know it's the right thing to do and the safe thing to do so that I can act on it as soon as I can if I do test positive. I'm very scared of what the result will be. I guess I didn't realize how irresponsible I had been until my current boyfriend became worried and questionable about my past behavior. We plan on getting married in a few years. That is if he doesn't end our relationship due to me being tested positive. = /

Do you think I am at a very high risk of being HIV positive? and also, do you think enough time has lapsed since my last probable HIV encounter (over a year ago)for my test to be accurate? Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Jackson

I think the risk that you are HIV infected is very very low, but still recommend you get tested for HIV antibody. A year and a half is more than enough time to have elapsed to have a accuarate test result.

BJ

Curious and Scared
Hepatitis B , help!!!!!!!!!!!