Women and HIVWomen and HIV

help, help, help

I have been having vaginal yeast infections for the past 10 months. I have been to the doctor 3 times for a glucose test, thyroid test and cbc. All came out normal.

I recently took a home access hiv test. It was negative. My question is, I wiped my finger with rubbing alchohol before pricking my finger but I didn't dry it off. If some of the alcohol got in the blood sample could it destroy the hiv antibodies and give a false negative? Should a I take another test to be sure?

Response from Dr. Jackson

Alcohol would probably not destroy HIV antibodies but could affect the performance of the test if the alcohol was in high enough concentration in the blood from the finger prick. I really doubt that the amount from a wipe would affect the performance of the test, but for peace of mind you may want to repeat the test after the alcohol has dried (evaporated) on your finger.

BJ

a few questions to clear my head :)
Can I get HIV using my FINGERS?