Women and HIVWomen and HIV

a few questions to clear my head :)

i was just wondering...i have heard different responses, with a complete blood work done and a pap along with that, could any infection of any type be able to be detected? I was told by my dr that all was good and i was in good health. i am planing to get pregnant and asked the dr if anything else needed to be done and she said "no" i worked three yrs ago with an Aids infected patient and I dont remember anything happening, but I guess i was just having thoughts and didnt know if to pursue anything. Wouldnt I know by now if anything was wrong? thnx for ur time..greatly appreciated :P

Response from Dr. Aberg

HIV testing is usually offered to all pregnant women, but you make a good point about pre-pregnancy counseling. Unless you signed a consent, you probably did not get a HIV test done. Although a PAP may see atypical cells or reactive cells suggesting an infection, it does not directly test you for sexually transmitted infections. Some clinicians are testing for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), a virus that is associated with genital warts and development of cancer, but others would be missed.

I recommend women to get their "pregnancy screening labs" when they are considering pregnancy. I do not perceive any risk from the patient you took care of 3 years ago but I do recommend HIV testing for all pregnant women because even if there is a tiny remote possibility and we failed to detect HIV, it could have grave consequences on the baby. Particularly now when we have medicines to help prevent the transmission of HIV to the baby.

So, talk with your provider again about getting a "pre-natal" screen early if you like. This also includes testing for syphilis, german measles exposure as well as HIV and hepatitis. Make sure you are up to date on your vaccines. I always encourage pre-pregnancy counseling. There are several things you can do prepare for a pregnancy including taking a multi-vitamin with folate! Good luck!

Lab. results
help, help, help