Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Decided on a test, but loosing my nerve
Apr 8, 2003

Dear Doctor,

I have decided to get tested within the next week. I have been calm about this uptill recently, but I am now starting to loose my nerve. Perhaps it's because I have been reading too much on HIV infection and just been working myself up.

For over the last five weeks, I have had slight joint and muscle discomfort,but not every day,just on and off, sensations of swollen glands just under my ear, however nothing has felt swollen at all, and again, occasional raised temperature. I have a history of hormonal imbalance, specifically PCOS. But, the more I read the more I get confused and stressed out. I know that the only way to know for sure is to get tested, but I am getting really depressed, and the closer the day comes for the test the more hesitant I am to go. It's been over three months since my suspect encounter. Does this sound like an infection? An extended, stretched out seroconversion period?

I also wanted to know, if I am infected, if in the first day of my period, before any blood properly comes,is there a very high risk possibility that my partner got infected during sex. The condom slipped off just before the end, he did not come.

Many thanks, and many apologies for my ramblings-trying to stay rational and sane!

Response from Dr. Jackson

Your symptoms do not sound like those of acute HIV infection. I suggest you go ahead and be tested. It is very likely to be negative.

BJ

Previous
Oral Contraceptive
Next
Scratches from infected person

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.