Women and HIVWomen and HIV

What are the chances?

How long does it take for HIV to show up in blood? My girlfriend's ex-boyfriend tested positive last week, and she hasn't been with him in 14 months? She had a test about 12 months ago and it was negative. So even though she tested negative and hasn't had sex with him since, could it just have been to slow to get to her blood?

Response from Dr. Jackson

It is unlikely your girlfriend is HIV positive if she tested negative 2 months after her last exposure to him even if he were positive 14 months ago at the time of last exposure. However, I suggest she be tested one more time as some people may take several months before they become HIV antibody positive from the time of exposure.

BJ

HIV+, PREGNANT, ? ABOUT DELIVERY
Oral Contraceptive