Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+, PREGNANT, ? ABOUT DELIVERY

i AM HIV+, i AM ON COMBIVIR AND VIRAMUNE. I AM NOW 5 MONTHS PREGNANT, DUE IN AUGUST, AND THE DELIVERY QUESTIONS ARE FLUTTERING IN MY HEAD. I HAVE HEARD THAT C SECTIONS ARE BEST, BUT MY DR, WHO DOES SPECIALIZE IN HIV, SAID IF MY VIRAL LOAD IS UNDECTECTABLE, THAN A VAGINAL BIRTH IS OK, BUT I AM HEARING SO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS. I WANT THE SAFEST DELIVERY AS POSSIBLE BUT SHE SAYS THAT CSECTION WOULD BE HARDER ON ME AND NOT NEEDED. BUT CONFLICTING INFO IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. I WANT WHAT IS SAFEST. SHE DID SAY IT WS MY CHOICE, SO I NEED GOOD INFO. IF YOU COULD HELP ME ON THE PROS AND CONS, OR ANYTHING THAT CAN HELP, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!

Response from Dr. Jackson

The risk of your baby being infected if your viral load is undetectable is very small (probably less than 1 in 500 or 1 in 1000, but the risk is not zero. Elective C-section does further reduce the risk by probably half, but surgery has risks as well (infection, bleeding, etc) and is not as safe for the mother.

BJ

too private to broadcast
What are the chances?