Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Female check ups

Dear Dr. Luzuriga,

I have been to the doctor 3 times this year. The first time I went I though I had a urinary track infection or a yeast infection. Turn to be out to be so type of vaginal infection and one other bacterial infection. Of course samples were sent off (vaginal and urine) for test one being an STD test and I never got a phone call about them. I was also treat for my two infections.

After those treatments I started having more problems so I went to an OB/GYN and got me a pap. The only thing she found was a yeast infection. I also know there were some samples sent off. She said if I did not call in two weeks everything is OK. I got no call. I was just wondering can HIV/AIDS make a pap abnormal?

My yeast infection is back and now I have a urinary track infection. This Dr. sent off for the same test the first Dr. did but, she told me by looking at my vaginal sample she saw a lot of white blood cells. Can that be a concern? I am still waiting for the results on these test. I just want to know out of all the test I have had done this year could HIV/AIDS be detected?

Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While abnormal pap smears (associated with papilloma virus infection) or yeast infections can be associated with HIV infection, they are also found in HIV uninfected women. It sounds as if you have been evaluated for urinary tract infections and vaginal infections, including sexually transmitted diseases, but it does not sound as if you have had specific testing for HIV infection. You should be fully evaluated by your care provider, including specific testing for HIV infection.

Female Symptoms
I am 14 !!!! and need your help!! a.s.a.p.!!!!!