Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Female Symptoms
Mar 23, 2003

Hello Dr Luzuriaga.

I am a 19 year old heterosexual male who is seeking more information on HIV symptoms in women.

I was sexually active with my ex girlfriend from the beginning of november 2002 to the beginning of january 2003 (unprotected most of the time). At the end of december, she had an irregular period, and started having lower back and abdominal discomfort, cloudy odorous vaginal discharge, breast tenderness, nausea, and difficulty maintaining her balance. We had a pregnancy test done at the end of january, and it came back negative. Her next period was normal. She has told me she continues to have these symptoms off and on. She also suffers from persistent yeast infections, oral thrush, and has had night sweats for the last 8 months.

She was sexually active (unprotected) with her ex boyfriend, who was openly bisexual and he cheated on her, but she failed to tell me this until after we had broken up. Before we slept together, i asked her if she was a virgin and she said yes, and that her and her ex only performed mutual masterbation.

She has been to the doctor 3 times and he has told her there is nothing seriously wrong. He has tested her for mono, which came back negative. It is now 10 weeks from last exposure, and i am worried i contracted HIV from her. I was tested at 7 weeks and it was negative.

Could her symptoms be symptoms of HIV?

Thank you for your response!!!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Your friend's symptoms are quite non-specific. As you may have read on this web site and elsewhere, HIV symptoms can overlap with many other illnesses, so it is very difficult to make a diagnosis based on symptoms alone. If your friend's symptoms have not resolved, she should be re-evaluated by her care provider, including an evaluation for STD's and HIV. With a negative test 7 weeks post-exposure (and no ongoing exposure), it is unlikely that you are infected.

Previous
Is this possible,when wife has HIV positive and Husband will be non HIV.
Next
Female check ups

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.