Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Undetermined hiv test
Mar 17, 2003

I'm HIV+ and I have a 12 month old baby she was test for all her pcr dna and they came back negative. Now she tested for her first Elisa test and it can back undetermined. I'm confused on what the results will be. Help clarify my confusion.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

When adults are tested for HIV infection, we use the Elisa test to detect antibodies to HIV in the blood. We can not use this test in young babies because all HIV positive women pass HIV antibodies to their babies during the last 3 months of pregnancy. So, all babies born at full term to HIV positive women will have antibodies to HIV(positive Elisa) and it may take up to 18 months to clear the antibodies. The DNA PCR test is a test that detects the viral genes in the white blood cells of individuals with HIV infection. We use this test in young babies because it is a direct test for the virus. With several negative DNA PCR tests through 1 year of age, your child is likely uninfected. It is not surprising that the Elisa is still positive (or even indeterminate) -- these probably represent antibodies that she acquired from you. Your care provider will probably test for antibodies at 18 months -- I expect that the Elisa will be negative at that point.

Previous
OI for Women
Next
just curious !!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.