Women and HIVWomen and HIV

cmv /fetus

Recently I delivered a 21 week stillborn fetus and was told by my ob that the result of my cmv level was "old but high". Could you please tell me what this means and if it was a factor in my baby's death?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

You don't mention the name of the specific test that was done, but it sounds as if it was antibody to CMV. While CMV can cause infection of the fetus, most antibody tests to CMV don't distinguish between current or old infection. It would be important for you to ask your care provider exactly what kind of testing was done in order to rule CMV in or out. It is also likely that other testing was done (chromosomes, etc.) and it would be important for you to discuss the results with your OB. Unfortunately, even extensive testing doesn't always indicate the cause for a stillbirth.

hiv+safe to have a baby
Tested Positive, partner tested Negative. Is that possible?