Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cmv /fetus
Mar 8, 2003

Recently I delivered a 21 week stillborn fetus and was told by my ob that the result of my cmv level was "old but high". Could you please tell me what this means and if it was a factor in my baby's death?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

You don't mention the name of the specific test that was done, but it sounds as if it was antibody to CMV. While CMV can cause infection of the fetus, most antibody tests to CMV don't distinguish between current or old infection. It would be important for you to ask your care provider exactly what kind of testing was done in order to rule CMV in or out. It is also likely that other testing was done (chromosomes, etc.) and it would be important for you to discuss the results with your OB. Unfortunately, even extensive testing doesn't always indicate the cause for a stillbirth.

Previous
hiv+safe to have a baby
Next
Tested Positive, partner tested Negative. Is that possible?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.