Women and HIVWomen and HIV

How safe is it to have a baby

I just found out that I am hiv+ four weeks ago. My viral load is 654 and my cd4 count is 667. I am not on any meds! I am also a type two diabetic on insulin. How safe is it for me to have a baby?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

With regard to your safety, pregnancy does not appear to accelerate HIV progression. While there is always the risk of transmitting HIV-1 to your baby, the risk is fairly low (< 1-2%), since you are on medications and your viral load is < 1000.

You might like to check out information on this web site regarding HIV and pregnancy. The Guidelines for the Use of Antiretrovirals During pregnancy has a pretty comprehensive discussion on preventing mother-to-child transmission and management of antiretroviral therapy during pregnancy. Generally, the idea is to oprimize your antiretroviral therapy to keep your viral load as low as possible (ideally undetectable) and you as healthy as possible. You don't mention what your regimen is but the only antiretroviral that is not recommended during pregnancy is efavirenz (We don't have much information on tenofovir and I would also advise against its use during pregnancy at this point).

With your diabetes and HIV, you should seek care from a provider who is experienced in dealing with both issues during pregnancy.

KL

Cold Sores
how fast can hiv show itself