Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How safe is it to have a baby
Mar 8, 2003

I just found out that I am hiv+ four weeks ago. My viral load is 654 and my cd4 count is 667. I am not on any meds! I am also a type two diabetic on insulin. How safe is it for me to have a baby?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

With regard to your safety, pregnancy does not appear to accelerate HIV progression. While there is always the risk of transmitting HIV-1 to your baby, the risk is fairly low (< 1-2%), since you are on medications and your viral load is < 1000.

You might like to check out information on this web site regarding HIV and pregnancy. The Guidelines for the Use of Antiretrovirals During pregnancy has a pretty comprehensive discussion on preventing mother-to-child transmission and management of antiretroviral therapy during pregnancy. Generally, the idea is to oprimize your antiretroviral therapy to keep your viral load as low as possible (ideally undetectable) and you as healthy as possible. You don't mention what your regimen is but the only antiretroviral that is not recommended during pregnancy is efavirenz (We don't have much information on tenofovir and I would also advise against its use during pregnancy at this point).

With your diabetes and HIV, you should seek care from a provider who is experienced in dealing with both issues during pregnancy.

KL

Previous
Cold Sores
Next
how fast can hiv show itself

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.