Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

+Elisa, WB(-)
Feb 24, 2003

Two years ago, I tested positve on the Elisa and negative on the WB. They have repeated those tests several times in the past two years, and my results are the same each time. I also tested negative on the Orasure test. I have only engaged in oral sex on a male. What could be the reason for testing positive on the Elisa every single time? Is their a possiblity that I am HIV+?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Some individuals have antibodies that cross react with HIV proteins producing a false positive HIV Elisa test; this is why we do the Western blot when the Elisa is positive; the Western blot shows how many different HIV proteins are reacting with the antibodies and weeds out the false positives; you are not HIV infected; JLS.

Previous
possible fales negative
Next
Positive HIV-1/2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.