Women and HIVWomen and HIV

+Elisa, WB(-)

Two years ago, I tested positve on the Elisa and negative on the WB. They have repeated those tests several times in the past two years, and my results are the same each time. I also tested negative on the Orasure test. I have only engaged in oral sex on a male. What could be the reason for testing positive on the Elisa every single time? Is their a possiblity that I am HIV+?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Some individuals have antibodies that cross react with HIV proteins producing a false positive HIV Elisa test; this is why we do the Western blot when the Elisa is positive; the Western blot shows how many different HIV proteins are reacting with the antibodies and weeds out the false positives; you are not HIV infected; JLS.

possible fales negative
Positive HIV-1/2