Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Scratches by pet from +ve person to me - So worried

I live with a HIV positive cousin. We have recently obtained a nice cute cat.

Last Saturday we were in our living room. In retrospect what I recall is that the cat played with my cousin then came to me and played with me. While playing with me it kind of scratched my hands. I did not see any sign of blood coming from the scratches on my hands. It occured to me, however, that the cat may have scratched my cousin before scratching me and I could get infected this way. I am so worried now especially because I have been tested and found negative well beyond the window period and have been very careful since. Now this new development is causing great anxiety in me, I can't concentrate on my work at the office. Please explain, do I have to wait again for another terrible period of 3 months and get tested again? How can we go on with life this way, I am so confused!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You have no reason to be worried; enjoy your cat and rest assured that it will not transmit HIV.JLS.

Do i need to take a test?
possible fales negative