Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scratches by pet from +ve person to me - So worried
Feb 24, 2003

I live with a HIV positive cousin. We have recently obtained a nice cute cat.

Last Saturday we were in our living room. In retrospect what I recall is that the cat played with my cousin then came to me and played with me. While playing with me it kind of scratched my hands. I did not see any sign of blood coming from the scratches on my hands. It occured to me, however, that the cat may have scratched my cousin before scratching me and I could get infected this way. I am so worried now especially because I have been tested and found negative well beyond the window period and have been very careful since. Now this new development is causing great anxiety in me, I can't concentrate on my work at the office. Please explain, do I have to wait again for another terrible period of 3 months and get tested again? How can we go on with life this way, I am so confused!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You have no reason to be worried; enjoy your cat and rest assured that it will not transmit HIV.JLS.

Previous
Do i need to take a test?
Next
possible fales negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.