Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DESPERATE FOR URANWSER
Feb 9, 2003

HI IM WORRIED ABOUT MY MOM SHE 21/2MONTHS BEFORE TESTED POSITIVE FOR ELISA WITH TITER OF 35 HER WESTERN BLOT ALSO CAME POSITIVE SHE HAS NO SYMPTOMS,SHE HAS ALSO GAINED 10 LBS AFTER THIS ,SHE IS SYMPTOMS LESS HER CD4 COUNTCAME OUT LOW 387,BUT SHE IS HEALTHY AND LIVING A GOOD LIFE BY BEING STRONG DONT ASK ME THE VIRAL LOAD OZ WE DONT KNOW IT .PLEASE DOC TELL ME WAT SHOULD WE DO NOW DONT SAY DO THE VIRAL LOAD COZ WE WILL DO IT BUT WHAT DOES THIS SHOWS PLEASE HELP US COZ I`M HIS SON AND IN A STATE OF DEPRESSION.

Response from Dr. Aberg

It would be very helpful for you to go with your mother to her next doctor's appointment so you can learn more about her disease. The HIV viral load is a measure of how much virus is in her blood. This helps us determine how quickly your mom's disease will progress. A high viral load is associated with losing the CD4 T-cells more rapidly than if someone has a low viral load. Your mother's CD4 count is now 387 so she may be nearing a time when she needs to start therapy if her viral load is high. If her viral load is low, she may be able to wait a while (months to years) if she has no symptoms and her CD4 count remians above 300. She will need frequent visits to monitor her viral load and CD4 counts.

You should see if there are AIDS service organizations nearby where you and your mom can go and learn more about HIV. Please go through our site and ask questions when you need to. Your mom will need your support and you will need hers!

Previous
breast reduction and hiv
Next
Aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.