Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it risky to have a baby?
Feb 9, 2003

I have been positive for the last 26 months. My VL has been undetectable all this time and my cd4 now stand at 754.Am thinking of having a baby this year with the quidance of my doctor.my question is , what effect will this have on my progression and on my numbers?Do i proceed with my plans and realize my dream of having a baby.?

Response from Dr. Aberg

I am assuming you are have an undetectable HIV viral load on antiretroviral therapy. Many HIV infected women are having healthy pregnancies so HIV by itself is not a contra-indication to getting pregnant and having a baby. The risk of transmitting HIV to a baby when one has an undetectable HIV viral load at time of delivery is less than 1 percent. There is much interest in understanding what happens to a women's immune and virologic status during pregnancy and several studies are observing women but at this time, we have little information on knowing if pregnancy has any effects on progression of HIV disease. At this time, I am unaware of any data suggesting there are worse outcomes among women with HIV who get pregnant compared with those who have never been pregnant.

It is important that you seek care now with an obstetrician to discuss getting pregnant and having close monitoring during the pregnancy. It is imperative that you take your HIV medications throughout the duration of the pregnancy to maintain an undetectable HIV viral load. You are a step ahead of many individuals in the fact that your HIV viral load is already undetectable. You will need to have all the routine care that every pregnant women needs as well as additional visits with your HIV healthcare provider. You should also begin taking a prenatal vitamin if you are not doing so now.

I hope all your "dreams" come true!

Previous
Do they randomly test in hospitals
Next
breast reduction and hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.