Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Further explanation Please

Hi Dr. Jackson,

I was told that HIV was found to live 72hrs out of the body. Can you tell me, if an object, such as a bottle, were inserted into a woman then taken out, and about 1 hr later (maybe more)put in another woman, could HIV be transmitted? There would be a thin layer of vaginal fluid on the bottle from the first I would think. I am just wondering if I should test again. Would you retest after an 11wk neg?

Response from Dr. Jackson

HIV is viable outside of the body for several days if kept in a moist body fluid. However, it is much more difficult to grow once the fluid dries, but can be done if placed in the right culture media and at the right temperature. In the case you mentioned with the bottle, it would be possible to transmit HIV that way although I think the risk is relatively low. Having an HIV antibody test 11 weeks after the exposure would be reassuring that you are not infected if negative.

BJ

Could a child born to HIV+ Mother be HIV+ at 8 years without SYMPTOMS?
conflicting info