Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Can you please help me?

You seem to be an expert in the PCR area so I am begging you to help me. I tested at a diagnostic center called Qwest. I was 11 weeks out of a possible , low-risk exposure but I was pregnant at the time of the test. The lab tech told me an antibody test was all I needed but I was scared and wanted to be sure. So, I did 3 tests, antibody, rna and some protein test. All were negative~however, while waiting for my results, the CDC said I had wastedmy because I would still have to retest after 3 months & again at 6. I am trying to figure out if they just ripped me off or if there really is NO need to worry about HIV anymore. Can you please tell me if the tests I did were adequate?

Response from Dr. Jackson

Persons who are HIV infected typically test HIV RNA PCR positive two weeks after exposure and become antibody positive 3-6 weeks after exposure. It is very uncommon to not become HIV antibody positive until 3-6 months after exposure. The fact that all the tests were negative 11 weeks after the exposure should be very reassuring.

BJ

Symptoms of HIV
breast feeding and concerned about baby