Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Possibility of becoming infected following childbirth

I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in April 2002. I had an HIV test while pregnant and it was negative. About 1 1/2 to 2 weeks after my son's birth my BF and I began having sexual intercourse. The first few times it was unprotected but since then we have always used protection. My BF tested positive for HIV 3 years ago and went untreated...to make a long story short, he was in denial and I chose to put myself into denial b/c of his denial. He was just tested again and will begin treatment in a few days {once his labwork for his viral load and things comes back}

Am I at a higher risk b/c of having unprotected sex with him so soon after giving birth? I was still having some light bleeding at that point if that makes a difference.

Thank you for any help you can give...

Response from Dr. Jackson

You may be at higher risk so soon after delivery considering the trauma involved, but I am unaware of any data that indicates you are in fact at higher risk. In any case, I suggest that you get tested for HIV antibody if it has been more than 6-8 weeks after your last episode of unprotected sex. You may also want to consider not breastfeeding unless you test negative.

BJ

FDA Approval?
QUESTIONS?