Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Is necessary be tested ?

Dear Doctor Jackson

I had protected sex (an ONLY time, double condom) with an unknown status person (female) nine weeks ago. I don't have symptoms.

a) Is necessary be tested ?

b) Why are women in more risk than the men ?

E.S.P

Response from Dr. Jackson

It is highly unlikely you are infected, but if you want to be sure, get an HIV antibody test performed on your blood. Most infected persons become antibody positive by 9 weeks after exposure so you could get tested now. Women appear to be at higher risk for HIV infection because the vagina has more surface area which is then exposed to viable HIV in infected semen for a longer period of time.

BJ

Please a couple of questions!
prostaglandin induction and Hiv risk transmission