Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Questions

At what point in the stages of HIV will a person start to lose weight. I'm newly diagnoses, #'s are great, VL is non detectable. Prior to this I've been dealing with a serious weight issue of being 130lbs overwieght. I've been thinking of asking my Dr. about getting one of the gastric bypass surgeries. Any advice, now that I'm HIV+

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Weight loss or wasting can either be due to HIV infection itself or an opportunistic infection and more commonly occurs at more advanced disease states. It is unusual inindividuals with controlled viral loads and good CD4 counts.

If you are interested in losing wieght, you should discuss this and formulate a plan with your HIV care provider. In addition, many clinics that care for HIV positive individuals have a nutritionist on staff, who may also be helpful.

general information
Suspect aids