Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Household contacts
Dec 26, 2002

What is wrong with me? I have a 20 month old daugther, born hiv negative. I am so worried about the possiablity of her getting hiv. I even had her tested once off of what ifs. Her doctors think i am nuts. I worry after every time she stays with sitters. Which has been like three times, and family at that. But since iI don't know their status, i worry what if she got it from them. So my question is outside of sex, and needles can she become infected? The only thing I know she does is shares food and drinks. Is that a risk? Also, since I don't know if they get blood on her or not should I always have her tested? or is that not a risk factor, i have been told only if she uses needles or is bleeding herself and they share blood like that, please help me understand that, the only thing that she has had is like a cat scratch or scrape can hiv enter that way????? please help me get through this, i neeed to know those facts. Are children sicker who have hiv, without showing signs of hiv?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

As you point out, HIV is only passed sexually and through sharing needles or receiving HIV positive blood products. HIV is not passed through household contacts (including sharing food and drink).

Previous
Peripheral neuropathy
Next
general information

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.