Dec 17, 2002
Hi, I was wondering if a mother breastfeeding someone elses child ( child has aids ) could the mother get aids from this? Thank you,
Response from Dr. Luzuriaga
We don't have much information on this -- I am unaware of any cases of HIV transmission from an HIV infected baby to an uninfected woman through breastfeeding. However, because of possible risk (particularly if the baby has bleeding mouth sores and the woman has cracks or sores on her nipples), a safer alternative would be the provision of breast milk through bottle feeding, if possible.
Iniitating antiretrovirals in pregnancy
- Physical Symptoms Of Hiv After Three Years Exposure
- Can Someone Be Hiv Positive For Many Years And Not Know It?
- Do You Get A High Fever With Hiv?
- If I Got Vaccine Against Hep B Should I Be Reactive To Testing?
- Which Is Worse Simplex Herpes 1 Or Simplex Herpes 2?
- What Kind Of Doctor Does A Guy Need To Go To For Genital Warts?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.