Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Child at risk?
Dec 3, 2002

CAN YOU TELL ME IF MY DAUGTHER WOULD BE AT RISK IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WAYS:

A CHILD BITING HER ON HER STOMACH THROUGH MY DAUGTHER'S SHIRT, NO BLOOD FROM MY DAUGTHER, BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN EXACTLY BY BREAK IN THE SKIN, I WOULD THINK OF IT CAUSING BLOOD, AND IT DIDN'T. OR IF SHE SHARED A LOLLIPOP OR DRINK ETC, EVEN IF THE PERSON MIGHT HAVE BLOOD IN THEIR MOUTH SINCE I WOULDN'T KNOW IF THEY DID OR NOT. OR BLOOD GETTING ON HER HANDS FROM SOMEONE ON ACCIDENT. PLEASE HELP I WANT TO PROTECT HER, CDC SAID THAT BLOOD CONTACT WASN'T EVER THE CAUSE OF INFECTION EXCEPT IN HEALTH CARE BUT I NEED TO HEAR IT AGAIN. THANK YOU. MY CHILD IS 19 MONTHS OLD, SHE WOULD SHOW THE SIGNS RIGHT AFTER THE FIRST RESPONSE TO HIV RIGHT?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While there have been a few reported cases of HIV transmission following human bites, this is exceedingly rare. To my knowledge, there have not been any documented cases of HIV transmission in day care, a setting in which biting is fairly common. In addition, transmission in household settings, in which household members share food, eating utensils, etc. , is extremely rare.

Previous
Pregnancy
Next
How can I tell if I am fertile?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.