Women and HIVWomen and HIV

mother diagnosed with full blown aids breast feeding infant

My cousin died in September of 2000 she never knew she was infected, all along she was breast feeding her child one day she fell sick and was diagnosed with full blown aids in July and passed away in September of the same year my question is what are the chances of her child now 6 years getting the HIV/AIDS virous. The child was breast feeding my cousin from the day she was born till the day she had to be hospitalized and diagnosed. Thank you for your response.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The child that was breast fed is at risk for HIV infection and should be tested for HIV; JLS.

BABIES
Possible HIV infection 8 1/2 years ago