Women and HIVWomen and HIV

NNRTI while pregnant

Dr. Jackson,

I learned I was positive after learning I was pregnant. I am very concerned for the health of my baby. My doctor wants to start me on a combo that includes Sustiva. Do you think this will work well for me or should I ask about Viramune instead? I have read some good things about it on this site in the section about women.

Liz

Response from Dr. Jackson

Sustiva has been associated with congenital malformations in the offspring of pregnant animals. There have also been a couple reports of meningocoele in babies of HIV infected pregnant women taking Sustiva. Therefore, use of Sustiva during pregnancy is not advised especially before the third trimester. Viramune would be another option.

BJ

Anal area
testing