Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ COUPLE NEED TO GET PREGNANT
Oct 7, 2002

My husband and i are both HIV+ and we are desperate to have a child. I have a daughter from a previous relationship and my husband has adopted her.But we are very desperate to have a baby are cd4 counts are 600 and above and we both have a undetectable viral load. What can we do.I am currently taking Sustiva-Zerit-Epivir. And my husbadn is on Trizavir Please help

Response from Dr. Jackson

The chance of a baby becoming infected during pregancy is very low if you have undetectable virus, have normal CD4 count and are on antiretrovrals(less than one in 200). However, Sustiva has been associated with congential abnormalities in animals if given during pregancy and may be associated with human congenital abnormalities as well. Therefore, you should consult with your treating physician about changing your drug regimen if you decide you want to get pregnant.

BJ

Previous
HPV& (-) ON STD'S
Next
Possible symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.