Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HPV& (-) ON STD'S

I'M AN 18 YR. OLD FEMALE AND I RECENTLY HAD A PAP THAT TURNED OUT ABNORMAL. THEY SAY IT IS HPV. BUT IM SO CONFUSED ON THIS QUITE A BIT. I GOT TESTED FOR ALL STD'S INCLUDING AIDS AND WAS NEG. I WAS TESTED IN APRIL FOR THESE AND BEEN WITH THE SAME GUY SINCE. CAN HPV BE A SIGN OF AIDS OR ANY OTHER STD? AND CAN I STILL HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MY BOYFRIEND OR WILL HE GIVE IT BACK TO ME AFTER IM TREATED? I HAVE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL FOR 2 YEARS.

Response from Dr. Jackson

Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is a sexually transmitted virus and is not related to the HIV virus except to the extent that persons with one STD are more likely to have other sexually transmitted diseases. Certain subtypes of HPV are associated with the development of cervical cancer. There is no proven treatment for HPV associated with an abnormal PAP smear other than to monitor and treat cancerous like lesions that may develop. If you want to continue to have unprotected sex with your boyfriend I suggest he first be tested for STDs including HIV and then make your decision.

BJ

Scared to breastfeed
HIV+ COUPLE NEED TO GET PREGNANT