Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Scared to breastfeed

For the newborn HIV screening test taken place in the first few days of life, my newborn tested negative with the Elisa test. I was with someone whose HIV status was unknown during the first trimester of my pregnancy and have not had any risky behavior since. I am nervous about breastfeeding in case my status is HIV+. Does a negative test result for the infant show that I am most likely negative as well? Wouldnt by anitbodies be present in the infant be detected by the Elisa test? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Jackson

A negative test result in the infant for HIV antibody in the first few days of life means that the mother also is negative for HIV antibody and presumably not infected unless there may have been a recent exposure in the last few weeks before the test was performed and antibodies have not yet developed.

BJ

Name of infant HIV screening test
HPV& (-) ON STD'S