Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Safe Sex?

My partner and I are HIV+ and I contracted the virus from him, who contracted it from a previous partner. Before the sexual intimacy in our relationship began, I tested negative for HIV. We are in a committed relationship and are monogomous. I currently take Trizivir and he is on a regimine of Sustiva and Combivir. Both of our viral levels are under 500. Is it safe to say we have the same strain and cannot cross create some superstrain? Is it safe for us to have unprotected sex with each other? Please respond.........

Response from Dr. Aberg

I cannot say it is 100% safe to have unprotected sex with one another. There has recently been a case of superinfection reported where one acquired a second HIV infection. The question remains whether you and your partner could transmit virus to one another that may have resistance mutations. Although you both may have the "same virus" you are on different medications which could lead to different mutations in the virus. The fact that your serum HIV viral load is undetectable doesn't mean it is gone completely nor does it say how much virus may be in your genital secretions.

I know you say you are in a mnogamous relationship and you may well be. But we do know that things happen or may change. I always recommend that one tries their best to reduce "sexual harm" such as contracting other STD's or possible resistant HIV which means practicing safer sex. Obvious the risks are lower for you if in fact you both are monogamous and your HIV remains controlled.

Hair loss
worry mother to be