Oct 6, 2002
Hi Dr.Judith, Does HIV itself cause hair loss? Thank you.
Response from Dr. Aberg
Hair loss is not associated with HIV itself. HIV is associated with several skin manifestations but not hair loss per se. Usually one notes dryness of the skin and this may affect the scalp. Also HIV may have an effect on the endocrine system, in particular thyroid disease and sex hormones may be altered but hair loss is not usually the predominant manifestation of those conditions. The way hair loss and HIV are more commonly related is due to medication side effects. Some of the HIV medications may cause hair loss. I hope this helps.
- Should I Get Tested After Receiving Oral Sex?
- Is Dizziness An Acute Symptom Of AIDS?
- Is Itchy Skin A Symptom Of AIDS?
- Can HIV Be Transmitted Through Touching A Bloody Scab?
- Red Eyes After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Swollen Glands After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.