|Vaginally or C-section?
Sep 6, 2002
I was diagnosed HIV positive when I was 5 months pregnant now my viral load is considered undetectable and Im in my 8th month of pregnancy. my maternal fetal doctor is recommending I have my baby vaginally. I was wondering if a c-section was safer? or does it make a difference???
Response from Dr. Luzuriaga
Cesarian section is not generally recommended for HIV positive women with viral loads < 1000 copies/ml on therapy because of the very low risk of transmission (<1%) in this setting.
Need advice - pregnancy and disease progression
- Purple Spots After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
- Can Someone Get Std If They Get Fingered?
- Severe Chest Pain And Vaginal Bleeding
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.