Women and HIVWomen and HIV

can pregnacy cause false negative

In december of 98, at the Dr.'s office that I worked at I was accidentally pricked with a used needle. I was immediatley tested along with the reluctant patient the needle was used on. We were both negative and suggested that we both retest in 6 months. I left that job 4 months later and 2 months after that I found out that I was pregnant. I was tested twice for hiv. 1st early Aug. of 99 and again in late Oct. of 99. Both were negative so I assumed everything was o.k. In early 2000 after the birth of my child I started showing symptoms such as rash and later bronchitis and it seems the bronchitis is reaccuring every winter. I'm concerned not only for me but my child as well. Is it possible with being pregnant when I tested that all those negatives were false.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

No, you are not infected and do not need to be retested unless you have another high risk exposure; JLS.

The diagnostic test sensitivity
Anxious and scared