Women and HIVWomen and HIV

indinavir combivir lamivudine in pregnancy

Dear Dr, I would like to ask a very important question. A young collegue of mine registrar in Medicine had an accident with a needle that she used to do a Mantoux to an AIDS patient. She sterted immediately indinavir, combivir and lamivudine. She was tested 2 months later and she is negative for HIV. unfortunately she became pregnant and the baby is now 6-9 weeks old. I would like to ask you if termination of pregnancy is indicated in that case. Thank you very much for your reply in advance. DR Nickolaos Giatrakos

Response from Dr. Jackson

The risk of birth defects with antiretroviral therapy appears to be very small with perhaps the exception of Efavirenz (Sustiva). However, there are not a lot of safety data especially with the use of protease inhibitors during early pregnancy so there may still be risk. However, I think the risk is still very small based on the fact that many women in the United States have become pregnant while on triple drug therapy, yet there have been very few,if any reports, directly linking Combivir or Indinavir with birth defects.

BJ

symptoms
Pregnant & Curious...