Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Fortovase+Combivir during pregnancy

Dear Drs, I am a 25 year-old HIV+ women. i am on fortovase and combivir( cd4 475, viral load below 400 copies). i want to have a baby. i don't have access to nelfinavir. i am thinking about staying on the same meds (fortovase and combivir) during the whole pregnancy without stopping the treatment. is it a good decision? what is the risk for me, what is the risk for birth deffects, what are the chances for my baby to be HIV-and how it is supposed to be treated after the delivery as the only meds i have access are combivir, AZT,3TC, zerit,videx, hivid,fortovase, norvir, crixivan, sustiva?

thank you in advance, V.

Response from Dr. Jackson

The risk of birth defects with antiretroviral therapy appears to be small with perhaps the exception of Efavirenz (Sustiva). However, there are not a lot of safety data especially with the use of protease inhibitors such as Fortovase during pregnancy so there may still be risk. The fact that your current regimen is maintaining your viral load below 400 copies/mL is excellent and indicates that were you to become pregnant and keep the viral load to less tha 400 copies/ mL during pregnancy, the risk of transmitting HIV to your baby would be well below 1%.

BJ

9 motnths and HIV positive
my 14y old girl friend may be 3 month what do i look for?