Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WOMEN&HIV
Jul 28, 2002

ABOUT 4YRS. AGO I FOUND OUT I WAS HIV+.I WAS PREGNANT AND WENT TO GET AN ABORTION,BEFORE I WENT TO GET THE ABORTION I HAD BEEN TESTED FOUR TIMES ALL TEST WERE NEGATIVE,AND THE GUY I WAS PREGNANT FOR IS STILL TESTING NEGATIVE!! MY QUESTION IS COULD I HAVE CONTRACTED HIV FROM THE ABORTION CLINIC??THEY GAVE ME A LOCAL ANESTESIA INJECTION,I REALLY COULDNT TELL IF THEY HAD SSTEERILIZE THE EQUIPMENT.IM GOING CRAZY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW AND WHEN I COULD HAVE CONTRACTED IT?

Response from Dr. Jackson

Instruments or needles exposed to HIV+ blood which have not subsequently been sterilized could potentially transmit HIV. This type of transmission has been documented with dental procedures. Other risk factors should also be considered. If you have only had one positive HIV test, I suggest you be tested again to confirm HIV infection. You may also want to ask your partner to actually let you see see the lab report of his HIV negative test results.

BJ

Previous
Can HIV live in a breastpump?
Next
9 motnths and HIV positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.