Women and HIVWomen and HIV

No meds today, want a baby, meds for how long?

Good morning Doctors. I'm a 31 years old woman HIV+ since 1997 thanks to an accident in a non developed area. My current CD4 count is 1268 and VL is 3,000. CD4 always have been between 50 and 40 while VL increased only once to 20k but went back to 3k without any med after 6 months. My question is the following. I am aware that for increasing the chance of my baby not being infected I should get on therapy during pregnancy, what nobody told me yet is if that's a life time decision or if I could stop meds after delivery. Both me and my doctor are very happy with how things are going and I would like to stay off from meds as much as possible. Thanks for your help

Anna

Response from Dr. Jackson

Being on antiretroviral therapy during pregnancy will decrease the risk of HIV transmission to your baby to probably less than 1-2% given your aleady low viral load.

After delivery it is possible that you could stop therapy and still have only a modest increase in viral load, but this is hard to predict.

BJ

Mick
Pregnancy in one year