Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Worried about cervical cancer

In February, I had a coposcopy & biopsy done & my doctor found that I had acute HPV on my cervix. I then had a repeat coposcopy & biopsy done in April. At that time, my OB found pre-cancerous cells. She had originally scheduled me to have the cells removed by an instrument that she described as a metal loop with an electric charge and water running through it. This was scheduled for mid-June. Now, it has been re-scheduled for the end of June. She has stated that because I am HIV+ & because the cells are "hard to get to," she wants me under general & local anesthesia. I've read that cervical cancer tends to be more aggressive in HIV+ women. Should I be concerned that this procedure is now over a month away? My concern is that my OB has already stated that she is not very familiar with the particulars of HIV. I've done all the research I can on my own and can't seem to find solid answers as to an acceptable time frame. I am extremely scared of getting cervical cancer as I would like to have children in the future and want to be here for my 11-yr old son that I now have. However, I don't want to be like "the little boy that cried wolf." Please help!

Response from Dr. Aberg

Waiting a month to get your loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) done will not put you at significantly higher risk of developing cervical cancer. No one really knows the exact time frame. It also depends on the type of abnormal cells that are seen whether they are "low-grade" or "high-grade". We usually try to schedule a LEEP within 3 months if indicated. Your doctor has done a very good job of describing the procedure. Complications from LEEPs are very uncommon. You will need to follow up periodically for PAP smears afterwards.

Cervical Dysplasia
Mick