Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ husband- I am HIV- Baby together?

For the past 2 years we have been trying to have a child and we just found out that he is HIV+. I am negative. We still want to have a baby that is from the both of us. He is not on meds and is very healthy. What are my options and what are the cost +/-. I live in Florida. Thank you

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

There is always the risk of HIV transmission to you (and then possibly to your baby) through unprotected intercourse. This risk is reduced but not necessarily nil when a partner has a low viral load and/or is on antiviral treatment.

In vitro fertilization (fertilization of the egg with sperm in a test tube) has been recommended by some as a method to reduce the risk of HIV transmission. The cost varies and is not always covered by insurance. Your OB/GYN provider should be able to provide more information.

There have been several similar questions on this forum (and the previous Forum on Women and Children), so you might wish to check out the answers to those queries, as well.

Birth mother is HIV+
Infectious dz concerns - mixed couple