Women and HIVWomen and HIV

pregnant from HIV+ plan

Dear Dr. Aberg,

I am going to write an article about women and aids. Can you answer this question for me? If a woman got pregnant from a HIV+ man, is (because she is pregnant) the chance 100 that she got the virus as well? Thanks for your time,

Response from Dr. Aberg

No. A woman may become pregnant by a HIV positive man yet not have acquired the virus. A woman can acquire HIV from a man and not get pregnant. These are independent events. I suggest you read more about the pathogenesis and transmission of HIV on this web site and others.

Pregnant and +
Birth mother is HIV+